Wednesday, January 31, 2007


See how our library grows!

I came to school today to the fun news that there were five boxes of books for me to look through. One of our families had weeded out their boys' library at home and decided Seabury was a worthwhile beneficiary of that gift.

When that happens it always feels like Christmas to me. I sat on the floor of the library and sorted the books into piles: Some for classrooms, a lot of great titles to add to the library and the few that we can't use, for another worthwhile destination.

Check out the pictures of two of the excellent books that were in those boxes, both hardbacks in terrific condition. (Note the Caldecott Honor seal on one of them.)

Seabury has a first-class library, in part because of wonderful donations like this one. We have more than 11,000 books ... good ones. I know our library is better than many in public schools.

Another way families are helping us grow: Since I posted a wish list on Amazon and a link through this blog, we've gotten 11 great birthday/other book donations.
We also have several dedicated volunteers who are covering and otherwise helping get books ready so they're on the shelves faster.
I thank you. The teachers thank you. Most of all, the children thank you.
Keep thinking of us when you're cleaning out the bookshelves, or book shopping on Amazon or anywhere else.
Here's a link to my latest column in The News Tribune. It's about some books the Ladybugs happen to love. (Good gift idea, especially for your younger Ladybugs.)
Talk to you soon.

No comments: