Sunday, March 12, 2006












See two great authors in person!


Caldecott Medal recipient Gerald McDermott will speak to families at the Tacoma's Main Library at 7 p.m. Wednesday (March 15). He's the author/illustrator of wonderful works of folklore for children. Our favorites at Seabury are his hilarious trickster tales: Zomo the Rabbit: A Trickster Tale from West Africa, Raven: A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest and Coyote: A Trickster Tale from the American Southwest. Mrs. V uses them every year with the Superstars. My boys and I saw him speak at the library a few years ago and he was very good. Here's more information.

The other is a bit of a drive but your first, second and third graders will say it's worth it. Mary Pope Osborne, author of the wildly popular Magic Tree House books, will appear at Third Place Books at the north end of Lake Washington at 2 p.m. on Saturday afternoon. She'll be there with her husband Will Osborne, who has collaborated with her on some of the Magic Tree House research guides, to introduce her new book, Night of the New Magicians.

Seabury students love the Magic Tree House books. They are perfect first "chapter books" for our children, combining real historical detail with fantasy – and starring bright youngsters. I still remember my son, Noah, walking through a parking lot, nose in a new MTH book. He couldn't even wait until we'd gotten to the car.

Here's a little bit more information on Osborne's event and directions from Seabury.

You ought to still be able to make it back in time for the auction!

It's been too long since I posted. I was sick last week with my third cold since Christmas. That's what I get for not having any colds last year.

We've also speeded up my computer in the library, so I'll be able to write from there more easily. I'd love to see some comments here. What would you like me to write about?

Talk to you soon.

No comments: