Wednesday, April 12, 2006


Lilly's back!

My taxes are finally done (don't ask how much we owe!) so I can get back to things I'd rather pay attention to.

My column in The News Tribune this week was about Kevin Henkes' new book, Lilly's Big Day. He had big shoes to follow in Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse. Maybe that's why it took him 10 years.
But I like this new book just as much as the first, as you can tell in my review. I love all his mouse books. He understands children so well. My daughter's favorite was Chrysanthemum. She related because we had saddled her with a name that many people found difficult to pronounce.

I haven't read the new Lilly to Seabury children, yet. I will in the next few weeks, along with Purple Purse and another book or two in his mouse series.

I did read Kitten's First Full Moon last year after it won the Caldecott, and the Ladybugs might have heard it again this year. I've put it on the table for them to check out.

I just got the spring bookfair preparation box from Scholastic. The fair will be May 10-13. I notice they are sending hardcovers of Lilly's Big Day. That will be on the library "wish list." (Hint, Hint.)

Enjoy two Kevin Henkes links:

His own website is good. It includes activities for children.

Henkes appeared on the Today show last Friday. My guess is that Al Roker hadn't read the book, but it's fun to see Henkes draw Lilly for a group of children the show brought in. (Don't bother trying it if you have a Mac computer. MSN doesn't think we Mac owners are worthy of watching videos from Today, Dateline NBC, Meet the Press ... I had to wait till I came to school to watch it. I'm writing e-mails to MSN. We'll see how that works.)

Talk to you soon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where can I locate this link to the interview on the Today Show with Al Roker and Kevin Henkes that you mention above?
I am a school librarian that would like to use this with my unit.