Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Good morning and thanks for reading!

I put a counter on the blog (on the right between links and the Amazon box) so I know some people are finding it. It allows me to exclude my own URL, so I also know it's not just me reading the blog. I do have miles to go to catch up with my daughter's Paris blog. Her counter's up to 1585. The statistics are interesting. I can go into the statcounter.com site and find out where the hits come from. So far, I've gotten two hits from Malaysia and one from Hong Kong. I suspect those come from Blogger's "Next Blog" feature on the top of the page. Don't let your kids use that one, by the way, unless you have really good filtering software. I've hit on some creepy sites messing around with that button. I'll check to see if there's a way to get rid of it on this blog.

Occasionally I plan to feature one of the links that I keep on this page. Today I was going to talk about KidsClick! But the site seems to be having problems, so I've temporarily removed the link. I've e-mailed them to see what's going on. It's a terrific place when it's working.


Instead I'll mention Yahooligans. It's a kid-sized Yahoo, a search engine and collection of interesting sites, news briefs, jokes, homework help and much more. The sites have been screened to be appropriate for young people. A little pair of sunglasses mark the sites that are judged to be especially good.

I love Google and use it many times a day, but this is a great alternative for when you want to have more control over what your children find on the Internet.

I could spend hours on Yahooligans myself.


I was poking around in the Space section because the Sharks and Beacons are studying astronomy. Check out this image I found on NASA's Picture of the Day site. It's an Oct. 2 photo of Victoria Crater, the largest crater visited by a Mars rover. This is the path I used to get there. First I clicked on Space on Yahooligans' main page, then each of the following links. Today's picture of the day is a beauty of Comet Swan. I couldn't reproduce it here because it's copyrighted, but you should take a look. ...


Space

Pictures

Astronomy Picture of the Day Archive

Today's Picture of the Day

Archive


Til next time ...

No comments: